the coming of age, bildungsroman-esque blog of an
American-born, Vietnamese Catholic male

Tuesday, January 5

Welcome Club Member!

The grocery store chain I work for is one of those that uses a club card membership to give you the discounts they advertise. I had yet to understand the point of giving an advertised discount only if you sign up for a keychain fob. All it means is that the checker has to ask for the rewards card for each transaction and have the customer fumble for their card or keys. It is a mild inconvenience. And it seems quite unnecessary to have to hand over your keys (on which rests the keychain fob) to get $0.50 off bread.

Interestingly, I didn't know that 'fob' was an actual word until like 2 years ago. It means 'a short strap, ribbon, or chain attached especially to a pocket watch' more commonly known as the stupid crap you put on your keychain. I always think of it as Fresh Off the Boat (which does not describe me because I was already off the boat in mainland USA) or Fresh Off the Border.

I didn't know the purpose (of the keychain fob) until about a week ago. I had received an email from the company with its weekly ad, but I thought nothing of it. Then a few days later when I was checking out my groceries and handed the girl the keychain fob, the receipt spit out with my name on it.

Wow, they know who I am! That's nice. And since they linked my card up to my phone number, I can now just type that in instead of handing over my keys. Doubly nice. I am easily amused, as you may already know.

Now that I'm a 'member', I feel a little more compelled to shop. And I suppose that's why the program exists.

I have intentionally used the words 'keychain fob' nearly a half-dozen times because I like saying it so much. 'Keychain fob' There, that's a half-dozen.

No comments: