the coming of age, bildungsroman-esque blog of an
American-born, Vietnamese Catholic male

Friday, January 29

Do You Know This Song?

Dear UGK fanatics,

I first heard this song back in the summer of 2004. The reason I remember it was that particular summer was because it was my first month in college, and I was still very impressionable and infinitely less jaded. They were better times. I remember sitting in the rickety, old, brown, broken auditorium 'desks' of the Lamar Fleming building taking Gen Chem II at U of H. The first time I sat in that auditorium, I thought, 'This is a college classroom? I had better desks back at my ghetto high school.' Though I was much lighter back then, it was atrociously difficult to sit in those chairs, much less learn anything.

Like any college student, I listened to tunes between classes (and while in class sometimes). But unlike most, I didn't have an iPod; I had a minidisc player (Sony’s update to the cassette Walkman) with the ability to catch FM stations, and it was always tuned to my favorite hip-hop station ever, 97.9 the BOX. The whole cast of the Mad Hatta Mornin’ Show on 97.9 is hilarious, especially J-Mac from Con-row. Ricky Smiley from the 97.9 the Beat, the sister station in Dallas, has nothing on Mad Hatta.


So this song came on one day that freshman summer, and I instantly recognized Pimp C's unmistakable voice. As I listened to him ‘puttin it down hard’, I had tingles up my spine. There’s nothing like Pimp C’s nasty lyricism ('Take it off, chick, bend over, let me see it...') which are rapped country-style in tune to some bad-ass old-school beat. This particular song echoed the voice he had when he was just starting out in the 90s, a young buck who still had to catch his breath while spitting out killer rhymes. Bun B, the other half of the Underground Kingz, was as stellar as ever, and their styles complement each other marvelously. As I listen to their six CDs on my iPod Nano (I upgraded as the minidisc is pretty much defunct), I’m continually astounded that they can make such graphic sexual and violent references but still integrate it seamlessly into their songs. Whereas some rappers use smut for the sake of smut, UGK uses it to make you think. Of course not as much as Tupac (Brenda's Got a Baby), but more so than any Soulja Boy (whose Crank That is a song full of disgusting sexual references) or the other rappers on the radio today.

Anyway, that’s my little homage to my favorite group from the South. RIP Pimp C. I will forever be Third Coast made

Though it was an undeniable hit that summer, I’m frustrated that I can’t find any reference to that song. For those scorching months when it came on 97.9, the only decent urban station (104.9 KPTY is now defunct, taken over by some Spanish station), I would crank up the volume and enjoy some lyrics that I could never repeat in public. Very few people would appreciate an Asian dorky male doing karaoke to some stupendously explicit lyrics. One of their CDs actually contains a ‘STRONG LANGUAGE SEXUAL + VIOLENT CONTENT’ appendage underneath the ubiquitous 'Parental Advisory' label. That was the first time I ever saw that disclaimer, and I suppose it is warranted.

After that summer, I only heard it only 3 times since.
About a month ago, while driving back up to Dallas, I was jamming to the aforementioned station. They oftentimes play old-school classics, and when I heard the unmistakable voice of Pimp C, I naturally turned up the volume. As always, the lyrics were supremely dirty but magically melodic. It was in the have-to-catch-my-breath voice, so I had thought it was one of UGK’s older songs, but then the hook came on that had been ingrained in my memory (but unfortunately, the words escape me). This is what I remember, and after 10 hours of googling the fragments over the past 5 years, I still don’t know the name of the song or where I can find it.

The hook by Bun B (or maybe Z-Ro?):
I’z a playa, I’z a mac. I love getting girls wit not nothin more than my paper stash…M-O-B…P-I-M-P. Man, don’t hate me, playa, hate the game…the only reason yo woman love me cuz I play wit them thangs(?)…lay her…

There’s another artist in the song, and I think the track is on his CD (since they don’t appear on the UGK CDs), but I don’t know his name.

So to all you hardcore UGK fans (or those with excellent Googling skills), what is the name of the song, and where can I find it? I have never bought a CD single, but I would spend $20 for this one track.
--

Update: I had composed this post a few weeks ago. Since then, I've found the song and downloaded it via Amazon MP3). The parts of the hook are nowhere near what I remembered.

Details tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this was a good song. just sounds good.

- eggs

g said...

dam straight its a good song! its my new ringtone :)