the coming of age, bildungsroman-esque blog of an
American-born, Vietnamese Catholic male

Sunday, January 3

From the Mouth of Babes

Dear the not-so-young,

I have a tendency to use double entendres. But 'babes' is used in the traditional sense, as in 'babies.'

It's refreshing to see things from kids' points of view sometimes, when they're not throwing temper tantrums. It almost makes me want to have a kid of my own, but those things costs like $300,000 apiece and they don't carry the name Lamborghini or Ferrari. I'll pass for now.

One such blonde cutie (he's going to be a poster-boy for Abercrombie if they haven't gone under yet) was in there with his mom. He had done something stupid and had broken his left arm. It has held adorably in a little sling, and he still smiled bashfully as I asked, 'What's your name little man?'

'[name deleted due to the fact that I can't remember it, and I couldn't say it if I did remember it due to HIPAA laws]'

Anyway, I check to see if we have the medicine, and the boy asks his mom, 'There's so much stuff back there. How do they know where my medicine is?'

His mom suggests that maybe we keep it by usage, like the pain section or antibiotic section. Oh, if we were that smart. It's liquids, inhalers, reconstitutables, creams/lotions/ointments, and vaginal/rectal, and alphabetized by the name that shows on the label.

I told him it's the elixir section. Elixir sounds a lot cooler than solution. Elixirs are the stuff that the characters from Final Fantasy drink.

I wonder what kind of organizational system that boy would have figured out if I had not told him what we used. Sometimes I think we would have invented a lot more if we had not learned what actually works and just used our intuition.

Intellectual innocence, meaning not corrupted by learning what actually exists, is something I think is highly undervalued.

No comments: