the coming of age, bildungsroman-esque blog of an
American-born, Vietnamese Catholic male

Friday, December 4

Frozen Flurry Irony

Dallas is some 250 miles north of Houston. That means it's 250 miles closer to the North Pole, which is generally regarded as a cold place. Logic follows that Dallas would be generally colder than Houston. In fact, New York City is even closer to the North Pole than Dallas, which is likely the reason why NYC is generally colder.

The thing about the word 'generally' is that it doesn't apply all the time. Example being today when it snowed in H-town and not a spec of the white flurry stuff fell on my new home city. I would be disappointed except I'm not that much of a snow person, and it may be kind of strange to have a snow ball fight by yourself. And aiming for the neighborhood cats is difficult as cats are smaller targets and then there's the unwanted attention from PETA enthusiasts. So I chilled at home, figuratively and literally.

That doesn't mean that Dallas any less cold. The temperature will plummet down to 26 F tonight, which is 6 below freezing. Hell would freeze over at 26 F (and Marisa Miller would show up at my doorstep in a trench coat). But that's okay. I have a warm blanket and about 1/3 of a bottle of single malt scotch. The pulsation of blood that will inevitably flow to my face after a dram of that excellent amber liquid will give me the false sensation of warmth which makes me smile even while icicles grow from the tip my nose.

And I'll smile because of the irony that it's snowing 250 miles south of here.

No comments: