the coming of age, bildungsroman-esque blog of an
American-born, Vietnamese Catholic male

Wednesday, September 1

Music for Any Occasion

Dear Hooked-on-Phonics,

I can never be too confident when I spell 'occasion' (see above title). I rely on Firefox's trusty spell-check feature to put red squiggly lines when I'm being ESL* which I catch myself doing more often then I'd like, such as dropping the 's' off of verbs when the subject is singular and dropping prepositions, ie 'she like the way mi** sound like F-O-B.' But even with technology, the trend is going more towards Jersey Shore and less towards proper English. Oh well.
--

The great thing about working in Victoria is that it's only a couple hours away from Houston. 97.9 the BOXX extends to just about 30 miles out of town, so I have to endure just half an hr of Victoria Top 40 before I heard Bun B's hot new single: Trillionaire (Explicit). Damn Bun B hits it hard, even without Pimp (RIP). T-Pain ain't no slouch neither. When I got to town I heard a screwed (slowed up) version of Twista, but even at half-speed he's still unintelligible to me. So what is this? Have I abandoned my 2pac for some club trash (not saying Bun makes club trash per se, but most of the stuff on the radio is club trash)? Neva homey!

Just things are different now. I'm out of poverty. I'm out of the prison of my own mind. Life could be better, but life is good. I can complain but that's only because complaining comes naturally to our species. So when I bang 'Me Against the World,' it's just not the same anymore. Because it's not me against anybody; it is just me against the imagined boundaries I've put up for myself. Of course I'll never play pro basketball, but everything else is within the realm of possibility.

So I'm starting to listen to more rainbows, sunshine, and honeydews. More Sheryl Crow, less Eminem (who was sorta depressing to listen to). More Colbie Calliat, less Bone Thugs. Etc, etc.

And I guess that's just growing up. And I guess that's why successful musicians make so much money (even more than me!): they create mirrors for emotions, to help clarify and resolve ephemeral thoughts into the spoken and sung word.. (put more words here...)
--

I woke up after 5 hrs of sleep, and since I didn't have any sedative/hypnotics that I dispense on a regular basis, I was forced to find non-pharmacological ways to get tired again. And after that last little bit about music as mirrors to focus thoughts, I'm mentally spent. So good night (again)!
--

*English is Second Language
**mi is a pronoun for 'I' that Viet people came up with because the original pronouns had more emotional connotations. The Viet language is very relational (as in pertaining to relationships) and to use the pronoun 'I' without relating it to the person you're speaking to may mean that you're pissed off at them. Same with the word 'you.' In a way, it's kind of like speaking in the third person: So to say 'I love you' to Mama, it would be literally translate to 'Child loves Mama.' To say it to a girl, it would translate to 'Man loves woman.' Don't ask me why.

No comments: