the coming of age, bildungsroman-esque blog of an
American-born, Vietnamese Catholic male

Monday, March 8

Tres Semanas en Paradiso

Dear apologia fans,

An apology and an apologia are not the same things. Well, they're quite similar except 'apology' is generally taken to mean that you're sorry. But according to Merriam-Webster, it also means (definition 1a) 'a formal justification.'

So here's my not-so-formal apology for my absence from my blog. I was in paradise (I know the Spanish word for 'paradise' is 'paraiso' and not 'paradiso', but doesn't 'paradiso' sound so much better?) Besides, February is a short month!

What is paradiso, pray tell? The cool sea foam of the French Riviera? The hot winter days in Espana? The dry heat of the Aussie summer? The detestable 'food' of Londoners? Sorry, I don't kiss-and-tell. Not right away at least--give me some time, okay?

So here's my week in review, which is naturally a backpost.

Tue, Feb 9 - Please, please tell me now...
A rundown of this particular blog's features. It's very dreadfully plain right now, but as I get more famous (in my delusions), I might hire on a web-designer. It will be my part to get us out of this recession.
If you want to subscribe to liketheletterg, just enter your email into the first box on the right hand side and follow the directions in the confirmation email that will be sent to you. I don't know who is subscribed to my blog, so I won't be spamming anyone.

Wed, Feb 10 - Are Phone Holsters Douche-y?
After a whopping one response to this question (which, as it turns out, is a very large sample size*), I have come to believe that everyone in the world thinks that phone holsters are not douche-y! In actuality, I've come to realize that it's how you wear it; when you feel secure about it, it's actually quite nice.
Is the Razr so thick that it couldn't fit in your pockets?

Thu, Feb 11 - The Rotation Files, Pt. 1
So I got a lot of heat from my friend about this post, accusing the post of being sexist and what-not. Surprisingly it was on this entry and not some of my (in my opinion) more offensive ones. But it is what it is. I'll write with a cleaner, more-PC prose next time, okay eggs?
In a way, if I had done the residency route and became a preceptor myself, this is how I'd like my interns to act.

Fri, Feb 12 - Dry Skin, Expensive Salt, and Evy from Israel
A reflective post on my transformation of self and self-image, tempered with some humor from a failed pick-up attempt of the cute sales girl at the mall.
Evy gets hit on innumerable times every day and has developed a smooth sidestep, like a Spanish matador

Sat, Feb 13 - DacBiet
The trick to using a thesaurus to elevate the vocabulary in your writing without being caught is that you have to be selective, hence the lone fancy word sobriquet (found after a google search for 'nickname synonym'). I'm like Rasheed Wallace when he saves his post moves for the post-season ('I told my buddy to look at it like a kung fu teacher. I might teach you the lotus and I might teach you the tiger, but I'm not going to teach you the crane, because the crane can beat both of them')
In Vietnamese, it means ‘bright mind’, which is a bit of a presumptuous name to call a kid, especially when you’re not sure if he will turn out to be all that smart.

Three weeks in paradise ensues. Then the sad return to normalcy :(


Sun, Mar 7 - Sanofi Aventis's RockBand Title
I apologize to all the lawyers for using a whole bunch of trademarks/copyrights/sue-able infringements. All names are properties of their respective owners, etc. Have some fun, will you? Don't take my Gucci and Prada away from me! I'd absolutely die a non-fabulous death!
Sometimes you should keep your random thoughts to yourself.
--

Random thoughts/occurrences of the past few weeks

My Droid phone has protested my attempt at photography by crashing after I try to take a picture. Am I the only Asian without a functioning camera? I wonder when they'll revoke my Asian card...

I spent half a day searching for a mythical D&G wallet. On my side-quest of the RPG of my life, I visited the Galleria, the Shops at Willowbend, and finally NorthPark. None had the Dolce&Gabbana boutique I was searching for and none had my bi-fold with the interior money clip. And none of the men working at Saks/Neimans seemed straight.

And I won't link you to the wallet, because I want to be the only one to have it! It is what is called a Veblen good.

I've quit trying to reread all my posts and editing out grammatical/spelling errors. For a blog with minimal revisions before/after posting, I think I do fairly well. My diseased writing style, unfortunately, is incurable.

Related to the last 'paragraph', is an article in the Wall Street Journal I came across while cruising the stupid stories on Yahoo's homepage. A non-health professional (I'm assuming) gets it surprisingly correct. MRSA isn't really as bad as people think. There are worse things to be infected with.

My day and night reversions are happening much more smoothly now. I do get a little disoriented when I wake up, as I never know whether to expect the sun or the moon to alight my eyes.

I've been trying to find a few uninterrupted days to read Tender is the Night, but have been unsuccessful. F Scott Fitzgerald writes beautifully, and that's not just my fawning over him because Gatsby is 2nd on the top 100 novels of the 20th century. I can point out things about his writing style that I like (such as it has just the right amount of flourish).

I'm starting to pay attention to footwear. There's a popular notion that the first thing a woman notices about a man is his shoes. If it's true, I got a few pairs of eye candy.

Though this will be posted under 'Monday, Mar 8', it is actually Wednesday morning. And since I said that bit about how my day/night reversions are happening more smoothly, I've jinxed myself into somnolence.

And so after 2 hours of 'work', I think it is nigh** time for a nap.

--
*kidding
**not a typo

No comments: